Sunday, February 25

My Oscar Picks

Well I'm not going to over all the categories, some years I can do all the categories but this year, I'm not all into it. And I wish Children of Men could have been in the nominations but maybe they were too late.

Best Actor
Almost every Best Actress category goes to a cute young thing (Reese Witherspoon) but actors don't (Not that Jamie Foxx isn't cute and young). Now, I know I said actors shouldn't be compared by other actors on talent but I am sure Ryan Gosling can act Leonard DiCarpio out of a bloody T-Shirt. While Forest Whitake, Will Smith and Peter O' Toole gave strong performances but Ryan deserves it. Yes, his movie Half Nelson was a characterization-based movie and Pursuit of Happiness had a larger audience but stranger things have happened.

Best Actress
Helen Mirren hands down. Meryl Streep may gave a good performance but she did a comedy and the Oscars aren't known for giving awards to comedies. Also Old Royal English Ladies always trump everything else, remember Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love ?

Best Director
Hands down to Scorsese

Original Screenplay
Babel, if you can just write that thing, you need an award.

More to come.