Thursday, August 19

Tough Girls on TV: 'Stay Off The Streets' not Believable

I have noticed a peculiar thing on Kids shows. The so-called 'Bad girls' that may have a future in jail. Alex Russo (Selena Gomez) of "Wizards of Waverly Place" is a mischievous minx but many characters on the show say that she has to 'stay off the streets' and she may have a future in jail or no job. Sam Puckett (Jennette McCurdy) is also seen as a bad girl, already been to Juvie, already knowing how much days you get if you hit a police officer and Carly having to fear canceling her show because Sam is in jail. But it doesn't ring true to me. Most 'bad' girls I have seen in real life as a substitute teacher are not exactly as caring as Sam and Alex or do exactly what these girls claim they do. If Sam really was doing what she said she would, I doubt she would be doing a web show. Or if she did and had a friend like Carly, I would believe she would stay off getting in jail. I know TV isn't always accurate, I don't know, it just seems wrong and strange. And also I do not like how Alex off-handily jokes about it, it is sending the wrong message. I know, I know, they are fantasy shows but some kids might think it's cool or normal to go to jail.