Saturday, February 20

The Family Guy/Sarah Palin Controversy

Last Sunday I watched Family Guy and as soon as the character of Ellen, who has down syndrome, I knew there would be trouble for the writers. And ooh she had to say, "My father is an accountant and my mother is the former governor of Alaska.” So when Sarah Palin complained, it wasn't a surprise. Britstol had to comment as well on her Facebook, saying "If the writers of a particularly pathetic cartoon show thought they were being clever in mocking my brother and my family yesterday, they failed. All they proved is that they’re heartless jerks." One thing that did surprise me was that Ellen is played by actress Andrea Fay Friedman, who actually has down syndrome. She says, ""My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes," the letter she sent to the NY Times allegedly adds.

Seth Macfarlane said on Real Time With Bill Maher stated that Friedman's statment was her way of stating that "I don't need this, I love my life. I'm very happy, and I don't need you to use this piece of cartoon footage to inspire phony pity because I'm very happy and very content with my life." I think the character was done touchingly, in a Family Guy manner anyway. The message of the episode was that even people with special needs are like everyone. I learned this in college when I met a blind handicap woman that was mean and had an attitude. Friedman said she wasn't comfortable at first that she had to play a 'bossy character' but she started getting into the groove. I liked what I heard, it is good that actors like her get more exposure. And a realistic view is better. NY Times readers think they went too far. I think they didn't with this case Family Guy writers went far. There have had things I didn't like Peter, Brian, Chris & Stewie throwing up repeatedly. It was just because I can't handle vomit.